Sunday, June 26, 2011

Allow me to introduce myself

Hello and Welcome to my blog, Cosmic Designs! 
I have been obsessed with crafting in many forms since I was a wee lass.  Other kids were into sports or video games, but I always liked crafty, creative stuff.  My first job in high school was at the local craft store (yeah, you know where my paycheck went).  And then came the wondrous age of the internet.  It has opened up a whole new world to me, crafty-wise, as it provides a wealth of information on how to do various craft projects. I love combing through various tutorials and project sheets to get new ideas and learn new techniques.
So that got me to thinking… What if I started documenting some of the crafty work I do while at the same time, try to help others who may be looking for crafting know-how or tips?  I’m a fairly crafty person and always seem to be working on one project or another, so why not?
At this particular moment in time, I am into several different craft mediums/activities. I don’t claim to be an expert in any of the mediums or techniques I write about in the blog, just an active enthusiast : )
·         Polymer clay (Different colors of Fimo, Sculpey, etc.):  



      I’m making mostly jewelry with this bake-able material at the moment.  I make earrings, bracelets, necklaces, etc. with polymer clay. Seems like I am working a lot of miniature food items lately, with sweet treats and sushi being particular faves.  I like trying new types of canes, again it is usually food related. I’ve started making some of my own molds too.  Now I am constantly noting new objects I want to make molds of so I can make their polymer clay equivalent.

·         Epoxy Resin : 


      I am using clear resin as a base for a lot of jewelry as well, though I have used it to make paper weights, light switch covers and hair accessories too. I experiment a lot with different mix-ins, like candy sprinkles or glitter.  I also incorporate images printed on photo paper into different pieces. I like using beads (especially glass pearl ones) to accentuate the resin pieces that I make.

·         Screen Printing Clothing :

      I really like the entire screen printing process, from stretching the silkscreen fabric onto the frame to printing the finished design onto a t-shirt. I currently only do one color prints/processes.  I make the screens for printing with photo sensitive emulsion and use water-based acrylic paints for printing on clothing.

·         Sewing :

      I sew mainly clothes, mostly for me, though I have a big range of items I can make.  I may see an item of clothing or an outfit somewhere that I want to wear, but can’t find the item in a store or want a different color pattern to the fabric.  Then I will just try making it myself.  I can make pretty much anything if I have a decent pattern, or at least one to use as a base with modifications.  I am impressed by people who can sew without a pattern, however I am not one of these people.  I can come up with some basic patterns on my own, but most patterns I buy or find online.

In addition to the above, in my crafty queue are a latch-hook rug, Chalkboard door hangers, a t-shirt quilt, and printing iron-ons for t-shirts. I do wish I was better at finishing projects than starting them, but every now and again I’ll get some finished pieces.
I have an etsy site where I sell some of the stuff I make, mostly jewelry and hair stuff at this time.  If you’d like to support it by making a purchase, I very much appreciate it : )
Well, that’s my introduction to the blogging world.  Please Bookmark this site and check back often to read about my crafting projects and see some tutorials.
Happy Craftin’

No comments:

Post a Comment